Thursday, December 29, 2011

Japan Earthquake

So, this blog is completely after the fact. Looking back, on it all, you think I would have gone into more detail about (or did I even mention?) the Earthquake that happened in Northern Japan on March 11th, 2011. To be honest, it didn't really affect us in Osaka, and since I didn't read the news at that point in my life and I don't really watch TV either, I just heard stories. Everything that they were telling us here is that it was OK. We were safe and we didn't have anything to worry about. Yes, it was devastating, but being somewhat accustomed to earthquakes, this country just picks itself right back up, rebuilds, and keeps moving along.

I rarely saw pictures or video footage and while, granted, the total area of Japan can basically fit into the state of California, the archipelago is spread out over a distance similar to that of going from Maine to Miami. And the distance from where I am in Osaka to where the Earthquake was situated is about like if you were to drive from Providence, RI to Virginia Beach, VA (or for you West Coast readers, driving from Santa Rosa, CA to Tijuana, Mexico)...a good ways away. So that being said, when people were calling me worrying if I was OK or did I see any of the effects, I just kind of laughed and said, "Of course I'm alright!" Why wouldn't I be, having been that far away from it all?

I have realized over time the effects and devastation caused (more-so by the Tsunami than the Earthquake itself) and tonight I watched this video that a few friends posted on Facebook:




I re-posted on Facebook, but I wanted to share this video with everyone. My accompanying statement with the video was, "This is moving in and of itself, but to have lived here and known these people - learned about their culture, their families and friends, their lives - makes it all that much more moving. 日本、ほんとにあいしてるよ! I'm so glad to have had this experience!!!" The Japanese says, "Japan, I truly love you!"

All of that is so true - as exasperated as I can get with the culture here at times and the fact that there are times that I simply crave my own culture and people who share my own way of thinking, I have really been enriched and blessed by having lived in this country and experienced this culture. And to think of all of those people whose faces were in the video...I see these people every day. They could easily be people who live in my neighborhood or people who I see on the subway. Watching it REALLY moved me.

I don't know how the video will affect you, the reader, but if anything I hope that inspires feelings of hope, courage in the face of adversity, and sympathy for those who lost everything. Perhaps if you feel so inspired you could donate to a worthy charity or get involved in some voluntourism.

The above link should help define voluntourism if nothing else! All of that to say, I think humanity is truly remarkable in so many ways - our similarities, our differences, our resilience, our capacity to love, and our willpower just to name a few.

More to come later! I probably won't get to post again in 2011, so I hope everyone has a wonderful end to their year. Have fun, be safe, and love on each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment