Saturday, September 15, 2012

"Love in Any Language"

Well, we are coming to the close of our 6th 12 day cruise and as usual, at the end of the embarkation talk, we sing "Love in Any Language" which is at the same time both touching and cliche. Today, however, it was more touching than cliche for me. I think because of what is happening in the world at the moment (with the anti-Islam video circulating YouTube and the subsequent riots and unrest in the countries of Northern Africa and the Middle East and then thinking of the inevitable backlash from THOSE actions to create more fear and hatred in the general American public towards the Middle East in general - which is VERY unfortunate) and the fact that my ship was supposed to be sailing to that part of the world - and can't now because of the violence and the company wanting to look after its passengers and crew - it just made that song hit home.

"I love you" may be said so differently in different places and those places may be so different from each other, but love is love anywhere and everywhere. It is interesting, to me, to think about the inherent differences in the cultures and regions of the world because of their societies and the traditions born of them. Yet, so many things in our human core are so similar. Instinctually and naturally we are all very similar - we have the same needs and same desires.

Now let's face it - culturally, religiously, politically, philosophically we may never agree on what's "right" or "acceptable" but if you look around at the world, people are living and functioning in varying societies that have been in existence for many years. We don't have to agree on everything, but if we could love our neighbor despite our differences and respect one another, imagine the difference that could be made in the world. All of that to say, I was touched by "Love in Any Language" today - it may be pure cheese, but it's got a great message to ponder!

And speaking of cruising, do you all (all 5 of my avid readers :-P) think that people tend to just turn their brains off when they go on vacation, or do you think the average cruiser is just not the brightest tool in the shed? Maybe I'm not talking necessarily about actual knowledge and smarts, but perhaps more about how you act in public around people - manners and such. I hear/see so many people just coughing all over the place without covering their mouths, using hands to touch food and things at the buffet, being rude to their fellow guests and generally impolite to the service staff. It just baffles me - were they not brought up right? Or do you think people pay money for a vacation and the thought is "well I paid for this, I'm entitled" and thus it subconsciously pushes some of their manners out the door?

Anything else of note going on in my life? Well, we've gotten into a general routine now that all cast members are caught up on choreography. Every 3 cruises, we repeat itineraries and most of our ports are Greek and Italian in origin, so it's kind of fun when we come back to Barcelona - tomorrow will only be my 3rd day there! AND…I'm picking up my sister for this next 7 day cruise! She is studying abroad in Munich, Germany this next year and she just moved there earlier this week, but she doesn't start classes until October. She still has some things to do to get fully situated and ready for classes, but she had free time during this cruise!

There are just not enough hours in the day to do everything I want, though. Despite getting into more of a routine as far as waking around the same time, going to bed around the same time, going to the gym or doing tech/shows around the same time, I'm still not able to do everything I'd like as I'm trying to take advantage (at least to some extent) of being in Europe while I have this opportunity. To put things into perspective, we are in the Mediterranean for about 4 months and do about 11 cruises (most of them 12 day cruises) and when we get to the Caribbean, we are there for 5.5 months and do only 7 day cruises…so there will be a lot more repeating, and from what I hear, a lot less to do as far as sightseeing goes. It's more about beaches, water-sports, and relaxing (and, in my case, saving money :) ). That is why blogs have been in short supply lately. I'm trying to maximize my daytime experiences…and typing blogs on the iPad, while possible, are highly impractical without a bluetooth keyboard.

Other updates - I went to Rome again. This time by myself and I only went to the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica. It was gorgeous and a lot less stressful - and I saw rain!! The 2nd time only in about 4 months. I still kinda felt on edge the whole time until I got on a train headed back for the port, but it was much less stressful overall. I also went to The Pinnacle restaurant on the ship for the first time this cruise (and the Tamarind for the 3rd time). It was delicious and nearly everything a nice meal should be. Also, heading back towards Barcelona, we've experienced more fall-like temperatures. While we won't get to watch leaves change, probably, Greece is a bearable temperature, Turkey and most of Italy is just downright perfect as far as temperature (despite higher risks of rain). I think we'll be heading to the Caribbean at just the right time.

We also have lost several friends and a couple of stagehands along the way. Ship life is weird like that - you live in a bubble (a floating hotel) and every 7-12 days the guests change, the staff is constantly changing as well. Peoples' contracts may be 4-12 months long in general, but it's all rotational, so every cruise we are losing people and getting new ones. My life is constantly in transition here and reminds me that my time traveling with this ship and these people is transient. On a deeper level, I suppose it is a reminder that life itself is transient and we are all here for (in the grand scheme of things) merely the blink of an eye. I sometimes find myself sad and feeling even slightly lonely or homesick when I think of how my world is constantly changing and people are coming and going, but whether I'm here or on land, people are always going to come and go at some point in my life. I think it's natural to feel that way, but also healthy to remember to be grateful for the time that you are given with the people in your life and just to be grateful for life and health in general. Amen?

Alright, that's about all of note that I have right now. To the gym I go. I get to see my sister in less than 24 hours!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! And since I've only been on 2 cruises, I haven't really experienced much of the "lack of manners" you mentioned...but I'm sure there are some in every group that act that way.

    ReplyDelete