Thursday, March 17, 2011

Unexpected trip Part 1

I'm presenting this in installments because that is how I wrote them - AND it would just be an entirely too long blog!

I've been here in Osaka for 5 weeks now - and never would I have thought something like this would have happened (especially so early in the contract). Just after 4 weeks, I became ill with something - some type of intestinal bug. This disease has brought me to my knees. Not only did it dehydrate me and give me awful stomach cramps and diarrhea, but it caused my ITP to flare. On Monday, I came to the clinic to get my blood tested. I was told that my platelets were next to nil. Now, I knew that I couldn't have zero platelets, but a count as low as he gave me is no good, so I was recommended to a hematologist at Kitano Hospital which is further North of where I live, near Umeda station. It's supposed to be one of the nicer hospitals in Osaka. For that, I am thankful!!

The hematologist there saw me, but before that, I had to go through a whole process of paperwork as you do at hospitals. Let me tell you what! Japan (at least Kitano Hospital) does have good medical equipment and although slow at times, their system is very organized. What is funny to me, as an American, is that there aren't nurse practitioners who do your measurements and vitals before you see the doctor - it is machines and self.

You stick your arm in a machine (much like American blood pressure machines) to get your blood pressure and heart rate and then it prints it out on a little sheet of paper. Next, you go over to a stand with a rod on it and 2 footprints. You stand on it and have someone push a button. This is a weight/height measuring device. The stand acts as a scale and on the rod is a smaller plastic rod that is light-weight and attached horizontally. When the button is pushed, it drops down and smacks you on the head then promptly returns - quite humorous (especially for one who doesn't expect it!) This machine prints out the height and weight.

I also gave a good deal of blood to be tested, which was difficult considering I hadn't eaten much all day…for the past 3 days of illness. I felt weak - and fragile. I saw the doctor and with the help of Yuki, hashed things out.

Let me pause for a moment and mention the USJ Talent Resources Team and Yuki and Tomo in particular. They have been fantastic in helping me through my illness!! And as the focus switched on Monday from bowels to ITP, Yuki was there every step of the journey. You could say I owe my life - or at least current state of well-being - to her. Without her help, my day would have been much more frustrating!! I might have just given up altogether.

So, the doctor didn't tell me anything I didn't know about my condition :) but he did tell me my platelet count was 13,000!! That is lower than it has been recorded in nearly 7 years when I was first diagnosed with ITP!

He said I could go home and rest or stay at the hospital and be treated. I was anxious to get better and not risk hemorrhaging and the FANTASTIC thing about this job is that if you are going to get sick, you can go to the doctor and get treated and everything is covered. I may have to pay out of pocket, but I am reimbursed 100% - not even a co-pay or deductible!

It took about 2 hrs to get checked in (gah!). Luckily, I had brought my backpack with me since I had somehow convinced myself in the morning that I was going to work and plow through it all despite my rocky condition. I read a good chunk of (and have since finished) Three Cups of Tea (GO READ THAT BOOK!!! AMAZING). All the while Yuki took care of everything. By the time I got into the hospital room that is shared with nice but greasy-haired older Nihonjin, it was probably 4:30 or 5. One plus side to the room (other than it being 2 people and not 4 people) is that I get the window view! It's a view of North/North-east Osaka. I can just see part of the Umeda Sky Building and then on a clear day (Monday and Wednesday…not Tuesday), you can see the distant mountains to the north!! And in light of recent events in Northern Japan and upon examining the buildings here, I've realized why so many of Japan's buildings are ugly and concrete-y…earthquakes! They are built to hold up to earthquakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment