Thursday, March 17, 2011

Unexpected trip Part 2

Part 2

At this point I stopped writing in my journal on Tuesday - and I'm picking up on Wednesday (after having transcribed Tuesday's journal entry to my computer). I have to say that I am chomping at the bit to get back into the regular swing of things. I miss people…people that speak my language! And what has made this whole thing difficult is that all this time, my family doesn't know because I don't have internet access at the hospital and I have no way of contacting and telling them that I'm ok. They knew I was sick, so I'm sure they are wondering where I am and what's happening. I had a bit of an emotional time the day I checked in to say the least.

At the moment it's super warm here in the room and all this moisture is condensing on the window. I had my first normal poo this morning, and I'm feeling stronger than I have in days! I haven't had my blood checked today yet, but I am praying for good results! I am bored in this hospital room - even with my nice view. Thankfully, though, I have some fantastic friends who have come and visited me. The first night, Digger, Charity, Jared, and Mickey all came to say hey! They were a sight for sore eyes because not only had I not seen anyone all day (Monday) besides Yuki, but I hadn't seen or really talked to anyone since Friday afternoon of last week! Charity and Digger brought me some snacks and digger went downstairs and bought be a toothbrush and toothpaste, underwear, and some shampoo and a towel (they don't provide any of that at the hospital…). They stayed past visiting hours and got kicked out and I went to sleep. Tuesday, Digger and Charity both came by (Digger actually just lives around the corner from the hospital) and Charity, the lovely, brought me a bag from my room with my computer, DVDs and a few fresh changes of clothes. YIPEE!! I don't have to smell or completely sod the same clothes for 3 or 4 days!

I've woken up by 7 both mornings…but then I've also gone to sleep around 10 or so each night. Here are some hospital observations for you.

You pay to watch TV or refrigerate things.
The food is better, typically, than American hospitals… or maybe because it's so different I just imagine that. I've been happy with it though
The pillows feel like they are stuffed with uncooked lima beans or something
There is no handsoap or facial tissues to be found - I step outside my room and use the sanitizing hand gel each time I use the restroom (which, thankfully, is becoming less frequent).
The female nurses get all giggly around me-especially when I walk outside my room past their station
There is a convenient store in the downstairs that I have visited twice already.
Japan in general has a very "do it yourself" attitude. When I was in the states and admitted into the hospital with low platelets, they insisted I ride in a wheelchair to my room even though I felt fine - but Monday when I felt like collapsing, I had to walk upstairs to my room.
I miss work
I find myself daydreaming mostly about my family, springtime with them and my friends, and Greece/Italy (go figure!)

I suppose that's it for now, I'll probably write a part 3 when I find out more about my situation or am released!

No comments:

Post a Comment